Thursday, March 17, 2011

Studio Update


Current state of painting
The painting is just getting underway. Lately I have been very interested in layering paint and creating rich surfaces. I am also becoming more drawn to how colors interact across and below the surface of painting. Although I paint representationally, I think of my paintings as more painted surfaces. Mark and gesture, paint application, emphasis on shapes, scraping, scumbling, troweling are some of the strategies I use to emphasize the physicality of the painting. This is a direction I want to continue to explore by continuing to emphasize process, materials and physicality.  




Early stage of this painting. 




Current on going work in the studio.

Current stage
I thought the painting needed a more weighted bottom, and I also felt I needed to strike a more neutral note somewhere as a kind of respite for the eye. 

Recent stage

Early stage 






My Favorite William Morris Hunt Quotes

"Inspiration is nothing without work"

"Work is a stimulus to work! and loafing is a stimulus to laziness!"

"Be carefully careless!"

"Paint for fun! I don't care whether it succeeds or not! Let success come along afterwards!"

"The next work is the one in which to put all the good, and to leave out some of the bad of the past!"

"Use your canvas as you would a slate–with the idea that you can rub out and add and subtract at will."

"The struggle of one color with another produces color."

No comments: