Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Life imitates arts: Mount Fuji in Red

Akira Kurosawa was truly a prophetic genius. I love this film, Mount Fuji in Red (1990). Unfortunately the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster has brought Kurosawa's "nightmare" vividly to life. My heart goes out to the people of Japan. I spent a year on the Island of Okinawa, 90 miles from mainland Japan and I was overwhelmed by its natural beauty.



I did this collage a couple of years ago. It was done as a kind of reminiscence from my time in  Okinawa. Like Kurosawa's Mount Fuji in Red, as I was putting this collage together, it evolved into a concern about an ecological disaster and toxic pollution sickening the earth and wild life . I titled it Kurosawa's Fish (Okinawa in Red).  I thought of the fish as belching out toxic waste. 


No comments: